Healthy Road Trip Snacks + a Food and Family Sale at Zulily!



Last week I got an email from a reader asking for suggestions for healthy road trip snacks. She had just gotten back from a spring break trip and said that although they brought fresh fruit and veggies, all the unhealthy snacks left her family feeling gross after the trip. I loved this question because it's one we can all relate to. You know you've felt bloated and icky after snack filled trips. And let's just be honest. Road trip snacking is just as much about entertainment as it is nutrition. I am completely guilty of handing my kids treats I wouldn't allow at home just to keep them quiet. Only that plan backfired  and sugar induced toddler frenzies ensued. Many processed snacks are high in sodium and sugar, which don't leave us feeling very well. 

Here are my top picks for healthy road trip snacks:
  • Apples and oranges.  They're durable and delicious. You can throw them in your bag without worrying about bruising. 
  • Pasta Salad 
  • Fun sandwiches. Forget the pb&j and make a tasty sandwich on a baguette or ciabatta loaf and then cut into pieces. 
  • Salad wraps. Slather tortilla wraps with smashed avocado and a pinch of salt, cream cheese, or hummus and fill with your favorite veggies and/or cold cuts. 
  • Peanut or almond butter and dippers (carrots, celery, pretzels) 
  • Hummus and pitas
  • Dried veggie chips. See those green beans and carrot slices in the jar above? I got them at Whole Foods. I'm not a big fan, but the kids LOVE them. I love them because they stay fresh much longer than fresh fruit and veggies, so they will still be good on the trip home. 
  • Low-fat Popcorn. Popcorn is one of my favorite snack attack foods. It's low calorie and takes awhile to eat, which means high entertainment value. I make mine in a covered Dutch oven on the stove to avoid added salt and chemicals. 
  • Healthy gummy bears from Taralynn McNitt
  • 5 minute almost sugar-free granola bars (to be posted tomorrow, so check back!) 

In other exciting news... 

As you all know, my new book is out in the world and one of my favorite sites, Zulily is featuring Yummy Mummy Kitchen in their food and family sale tomorrow. I was frist introduced to Zulily through a photographer who recommended it as the place to get cute kids clothes for photo shoots at a great price. They really have amazing deals on everything for kids, moms, and home. Check their site tomorrow (Tuesday) to freshen up your cookbook library!

You can check out the recipe I created just for Zulily here.
It's packed with sneaky greens. But your kids will never know - it's one of my girls' favorites! 





Description: Healthy Road Trip Snacks + a Food and Family Sale at Zulily!
Rating: 4.5
Reviewed by: Unknown
On: 1:59 PM
TOP