Mid Century Restore Cabinet

Lately I've been really drawn to mid century modern furniture and design.  I consider my style to be eclectic.  I love rustic, industrial, farmhouse you name it I love it!  Well maybe not anything from the 70's.  I've mentioned here before how I like to change things around in my house.  It seems I'm not happy unless I'm changing something.  This usually means I have to sell something to make room for something else, but this is what I enjoy doing.  

A couple of weeks ago when I stopped in to Habitat For Humanity's Restore to check things out, I fell instantly in love with a great mid century cabinet.  The cabinet had just come in off the truck and the employees hadn't even had time to price it.  Initially when I saw the cabinet I thought of a friend who likes mid century pieces, but when she didn't get back to me I thought maybe this piece was destined to be mine.  I stood in front of the piece for ten minutes staring at it and shooing people off.  The only thing that held me back was how I was getting it home and where on earth would I put it?  

I finally bit the bullet and purchased the cabinet.  My friend's Husband said he would pick it up for me so all I had to do was figure out where to put it!  On my drive home the wheels started turning and I figured out where it could go....my living room.  

The day the piece was being delivered my entire living room was torn apart.  The Hubby was away on business so I was on my own.  I had things everywhere.  It looked like someone had come in and turned the house upside down.  Once the Hubby got home from his business trip that evening I moved the cabinet into its new home and got to work cleaning it up.  I knew all along I wouldn't paint this piece.  Some things are better left untouched and this was just one of those things.  All the cabinet needed was a bit of finish restorer and Murphy's Oil Soap and it was perfect.

Here's the cabinet in it's new home.


When I saw this cabinet I knew it would be perfect for some of the globes in my collection.  The height and length were just right for displaying and the warmth of the wood contrasts nicely with the colors on the globes.


There's just something about the lines and the warmth of the wood mixed with the glass that I adore.  


Both doors, one on each end, are attached with piano hinges.  When the doors are closed, they slowly close and don't slam.  This is one well built piece of furniture!






As much as I change the furniture in my home, I can't see myself parting with this cabinet.   It fits so nicely in it's new home with its classic beauty and versatility.  I've searched the Internet for pictures of pieces just like this one, but I haven't found a thing.  I'd love to find a picture of how it looked in a home when it was brand new.  If anyone comes across anything please let me know.

Thank you for reading,

Melody
  


Description: Mid Century Restore Cabinet
Rating: 4.5
Reviewed by: Unknown
On: 4:20 PM
TOP