New Living Room Tour

Well, I finally got around to taking some pictures of one room in the new house. This is one room I feel is almost done.  I don't know if a room is ever done because in my life a room is constantly evolving and changing depending on what I find along the way.  We've been living in our new house for just over two months now and It's feeling more like 'home' every day.  There are still lots and lots of things to do like organize the office,  figuring out my work area in the basement and working on our master bedroom to name a few.  I'm happy with our progress so far.  I need to remind myself to be patient things don't happen overnight.   Also, a house is never really 'done' is it??

My favorite room in our house is probably one of the least used rooms....the living room.  When I walk in the living room I immediately feel relaxed and happy.  It's bright, airy and full of some of my favorite pieces.  Sometimes when I feel like I need a break from life, I walk in the living room,  sit down on the big leather sofa and enjoy a few quiet moments (That is until the dog, cat, hubby or Hunter find me!).  

Here are a few pictures of the new living room....now when I saw a few, I mean a lot!

The living room walls are a blue-grey color, which don't show up as blue-grey in this picture.  However, this picture does show why I love this room so much....the brightness. The light floods in, especially on a sunny day.


My favorite part of any room is always the corner with a comfy chair,  with lots of light to read and enjoy the sun.  This little corner of the living room is the perfect spot to relax, take in the view outside, read a book and enjoy the sunshine.


One great thing about this room is the fact it was recently painted by the previous owners.  The color works great for us and was similar to the blue we had in our last house. This meant I didn't have to paint!  All I did in this room was remove the blinds and decorate.  When we first moved in,  I had plans to remove the blinds and put up curtains.  Once I removed the blinds, I realized I liked the look of the windows without any window coverings.  Thankfully we don't have lots of neighbors!  


In this picture you can see my antique mail sorter.  This was hung horizontally on a wall in our old dining room, but in this house I couldn't find a place I wanted it to hang.  I decided to stand it up on its side on the floor like a piece of furniture and I love how it looks!!  


This china cabinet was in the entry way of our last house.  I've had it since I was little so it's very special to me.  I wrote a post awhile back about what I did to update it here Childhood China Cabinet.  


There are so many things in this part of the room that make me smile.  My little green side tables,  factory cart coffee table and my antique levels.  I started buying the levels last summer and now every time I see one for a good price I have to buy it.  Weird thing to collect, I know!  I love old levels, measuring sticks and rulers.  



This is another corner of the living room I really like.


It makes me happy when I look at this picture and realize there are only two things I didn't buy brand new (the glass cloche on the little side table and the tan pillow on the chair).  The slipper chair I scored at Goodwill.  It was brand new from Target, but for some reason it was returned to the store.  They salvaged it and then sent it to Goodwill.  Our local Goodwill gets a lot of stuff like this from Target, which is great for people like me! 





I've been collecting coral for years.  Every time we go on a vacation somewhere warm with a beach, I search for coral then bring it home as a souvenir.  Hunter has joined in on the search for coral now and after many years of collecting, we had more than enough coral to fill the mail sorter.  I like the contrast of the old wood with the white coral.



Another thing I can't resist collecting is old silver.  



On either side of the entrance to the dining room, I placed a set of old wood shutters/doors.  I was able to buy these for a steal at a local barn sale recently.  I'm still kicking myself for not buying more!   They had so many shutters at this sale and I wanted to buy them all and hang them on a wall in our master bedroom.  Unfortunately the hubby wasn't on board with my shutter wall idea so I only bought one set.  The shutter on the left has white porcelain door knobs and the woman who inherited the house told me they were actually shutter doors.  I like how they add some interesting detail to a boring entrance.




I love this little green, metal side table I bought for nothing at an estate sale.  I wish there had been two.  All I had to do to the table was give it a good cleaning.  The green paint was already on the table along with a little big of aging and character. 

The green 'table' on the left side of the picture is a ceramic garden stool I bought on clearance at Home Goods.  It's almost the exact same color green as the metal table purchased at the estate sale.  


It's wonderful living in our new home and feeling settled.  After feeling like our life was in limbo for the last 2 1/2 years it's nice to set down some roots and know we're going to be here for awhile.  We've already made lots of memories here and I look forward to making many more.  For Hunter this will always be the house where we adopted our first dog as a family.  He's loving living here with the large backyard, a dog to play with and lots of room to ride his bike.  The living room and all its 'stuff' isn't what makes this our home, it's the people who live here and the memories we make while we're  living here.  

I'm always hesitant to show pictures of my house on the blog.  I'm fine with showing the before and after pictures of a piece of furniture I've worked on, but house pictures make me nervous.  I never want people to feel like I'm bragging, for lack of a better word.  I'm not a professional interior designer, nor do I have any formal training.  Anyone can do this stuff.   I'm only sharing because I received comments and emails asking for pictures of the new house and I aim to please!  I'm hoping that by showing you how I've decorated my house and not spending a ton of money doing it, this can help or inspire you in your own home.  There's only one expensive item in this room and that was the leather couch.  We did splurge on that last year from Restoration Hardware.  Other than that, nothing is crazy expensive or out of reach in this room.  Decorating a room doesn't have to cost a fortune and can easily be uniquely yours.  It's all about finding the right pieces and putting them together to reflect your style, tastes and interests.   

I hope you enjoyed this picture-packed tour of our living room.  Thank you for reading!

Take care,






Linking to:

House on the Way


Description: New Living Room Tour
Rating: 4.5
Reviewed by: Unknown
On: 9:28 AM
TOP